Thursday, February 11, 2016

Brick Street Chocolate Cake Pinterest Audition

Someone special has a birthday .... yay happy birthday Perry!!! I have been craving chocolate cake for awhile now and when I asked Per what kind of cake he wanted for his birthday dinner he said chocolate. Bonus for me. I found this recipe on Pinterest awhile back and decided to make it for the big day. I am not especially fond of baking, I think I really prefer cooking to baking unless I am sharing it with someone. Leftsa with Ashley at Christmas was fun and Perry & I have a blast when we cook together. I decided to bake like a tv chef and measure out all the ingredients before I started. I liked that. Maybe if I had a helper to measure, lay out and put away it would help. Someday it will be fun to bake with Sawyer and Isla. Can you say mess up grandmas kitchen.....


Apparently I had nothing but time to wash dishes afterwards lol
 Brick Street Chocolate Cake (Conventional Oven)
All your dreams of a rich, dense chocolate cake. Bakes in a regular oven and iced with a rich ganache icing!

Prep time - 20 minutes
Cook time - 60 minutes

Cake Ingredients
2 cups white sugar
1 cup butter softened
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 large eggs (free run of course)
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 cup cocoa sifted
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup instant chocolate pudding mix (dry)
2 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Icing Ingredients
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla (why you need vanilla in chocolate is beyond me?)
1 cup cocoa sifted
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar sifted
3 tbsp heavy creme (more or less)

Spreading over to the island, cool sifter my grandma Morrison gave me
 Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Beat sugar, butter and vanilla till smooth and creamy
  3. Mix in eggs and beat
  4. Mix in flour, cocoa, soda, salt, pudding and milk and beat
  5. Stir in the chocolate chips (which I almost forgot....)
  6. Pour into greased and floured round 10" pans
  7. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes
  8. After 30 minutes lower temp to 325 and continue to bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Check with cake tester at 1 hour (mine was perfect at 60 minutes)
  9. Cool completely before icing (the best part)
Chocolate Icing
  1. Heat water, butter and vanilla together in a sauce pan until melted
  2. Remove from heat and stir in cocoa
  3. Stir in powdered sugar and beat until smooth
  4. Add heavy creme (I used whipping creme) until desired consistency is achieved
  5. Ice cake, icing will harden as it cools

The recipe didn't actually call for beating but I gave it a good beating, lots of air and no lumps
The original recipe called for a tube pan which is kind of like an angel food but I decided I wanted a layer cake and the substituion performed just fine
Who wants to lick the batter....oh...no one here but me guess I will step up to the plate lol
They rose perfectly
Time to cool before removal
Beating the ganache icing 
The finished product...I can hardly wait. I did try a little bit that I cut off to level the bottom and it was fantastic.
If you really love chocolatey chocolate cake then I can highly recommend this recipe. Thanks to Pinterest and  throughherlookingglass.com for the original recipe I adapted this from.

Relax... Respect... Enjoy... something sweet today... Dorri

No comments:

Post a Comment