Thursday, April 30, 2015

Muffin Mondays....cept it's not Monday...oh well

Today was Thursday but I am calling it Muffin Monday instead! I tried out a new, pretty healthy muffin recipe I found in the September 2010 Canadian Living magazine. It was good, tweaked it a little but I think my recipe could use a little bit more moisture. Next time I would change up some of the white flour and add some applesauce for more moisture. I would also hit up the health food store for pumpkin seeds because I really love those.


Cranberry Seed Muffins - Canadian Living
1 3/4 cup flour (I used pastry flour)
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oat or wheat bran (I used Holy Crap breakfast cereal)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (I didn't have any so skipped these and added coconut)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp grated orange rind
2 eggs
1 1/3 cup buttermilk (I used Almond/Coconut milk and 1/4 cup creme cos I had it)
1/2 cup unsalted butter (I used 1/4 cup salted butter)
2 cups cranberries

  • In a large bowl add the first 8 ingredients and mix well
  • Whisk sugars and orange rind together. Beat in eggs and milk until combined
  • Stir in flour mixture and add cranberries
  • Spoon into 12 greased muffin cups
  • Sprinkle top with seeds and oat bran (I sprinkled with unsweetened coconut)
  • Bake at 375 F for about 25 minutes
About 342 calories per muffin.

Relax...Respect...Enjoy...a fruity nutty muffin today... Dorri


No comments:

Post a Comment