Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Apple Comparison

Lately my snack of choice for the middle of the afternoon munchies has been a crisp, freshly cut apple with natural peanut butter. Apples have never been my favourite snack. Boring and I really dislike them turning brown if they are not ate soon enough. Living in a small town we really don't have much variety for vegetables and fruits so I thought with what is offered I would do some comparisons and find my favourite. No more boring Macintosh or .... for me. 


Lady Alice vs Honeycrisp

Lady Alice has a dense and crisp texture. The overall apple has the look of a homegrown apple, not as shiny, not as red more heirloom-ish. An excellent choice for eating fresh as well as cooking or baking with. It doesn't brown fast and will keep its shape when cooked. Available from February thru May. 

The Honeycrisp is sweet, firm and tart. Perfect for eating fresh. It has much larger cells than most apples. They rupture when bitten and fill your mouth with juice. A rosy red apple similar in shape and color to New Zealand supplies Canada with these apples in the off season. 

In my opinion these two apples are both wonderful but I choose the Honeycrisp as my raw eating apple of choice for this spring. 



Relax...Respect...Enjoy...an apple a day keeps the doctor away, so they say...Dorri

No comments:

Post a Comment