Wednesday, April 8, 2015

A New Hummus Recipe

I have been experimenting with different hummus recipes lately and I think I have found the one we like the best. I will use this as my base recipe to add other ingredients to. The first one I blogged about on February 11th was ok but this one made us go "wow"! I think the difference may have been the Tahini. Some like Tahini and some do not. I wasn't even sure if we did or not. I found this recipe at www.inspiredtaste.net and I think you should give this one a try. The secret to this one is processing the lemon juice and tahini in the food processor before adding the chickpeas. This results in a smoother creamier dip. 

Smooth Simple Hummus Recipe

1 15 oz can chick peas
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup tahini paste
half of a garlic clove minced
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 to 3 tbsp water
dash of paprika

Combine lemon juice and tahini in a food processor for 1 minute. Scrape sides often. Add garlic, oil, salt and cumin and process for 30 more seconds. Rinse the chick peas, add them and process for 1 to 2 minutes. Add water as required to process to a smooth consistency. It may be too thick and the water will fix that and make it smoother.

To serve drizzle a little oil over the hummus and sprinkle with paprika. 

Rinse the chick peas (garbanzo beans) well with cold water and drain. I found some recipes that had you use the liquid from the cans, but I am not a fan of that. Salt and whatnot in there
I love my Kitchen Aid Ultra Power processor
Ready for another few meals of yummy lunch veggies. Keeps about a week in the fridge
On my last trip to Fort St John, Ashley and I enjoyed a great lunch out at Original Joes. We had a variety of tasty treats but I really enjoyed the hummus. The drizzled it with a warm balsamic glaze and oh my gosh that was to die for. Just thought I would let you know. Hummus is apparently on my Hot List for the year.


Relax... Respect...Enjoy....this tasty staple of our diet.. Dorri


1 comment:

  1. We made hummus last night too! I added a whole avocado and lots of garlic! Will be dipping into that today for lunch :)

    ReplyDelete