Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Green Chili Hummus

Today is my fiancĂ© Perry's birthday. "Happy birthday Per, I love you". Today I am making something special for his birthday dinner. As usual, for special occasions, I attempt to make something I have never cooked before. I do have a little big of the chef bug at times!! After a month in Palm Springs we put ourselves on the Dr Oz 2 week diet to lose a little of the champagne weight lol yes really. Thus I am trying to make a delicious meal but healthy too. Cos you know healthy is not always delicious lol. For the first course I made hummus. The entree is crepes stuffed with grilled chicken, asparagus and covered with a sauce I created out of hollandaise sauce, mushrooms and coconut milk?? I know hey I started with wanting a creme mushroom sauce; then remembered how good the Hollandaise sauce was on the breakfast crepes I had at IHop in Palm Springs. I doubled the recipe but it just didn't look like enough so I thought the coconut milk would lighten it up and make it go farther?  For dessert I made a paleo chocolate frosting with fresh strawberries and blueberries. No need to say where we will be eating these!!!! No sugar, no butter and it is amazing. OMG where are the cupcakes when I needed them. Here is the recipe for the hummus which was so simple to make, so healthy and so delicious. I found a recipe online from VitaMix for it because my food processor is at the Lakehouse... either will work. 

Green Chili Hummus (Blender Style)
2 15oz cans garbanzo beans (chick peas) leave liquid in one can
2 tbsp hot sauce
2 tbsp lemon juice (1 freshly squeezed)
1 clove garlic minced
1/2 tsp salt
1 6 oz can green chilies drained

Add all ingredients to the blender in the order above. Select Variable 1 and slowly increase speed to 10. Blend for 30 seconds until smooth. Refrigerate before serving.
Tastes amazing with fresh veggies, enjoy!!

This recipe didn't call for Tahini Paste but some of the others I looked at did but I forgot to add it. Next time I will add it to see how that changes the flavour
Can't say enough good things about our Breville Citrus Press. It is the best one I have ever found for citrus
I think I would try a little less liquid next time, a half cup less maybe
Love my VitaMix... we have one at the Lakehouse that grinds wheat not that I grind wheat lol
I sprinkled a little cayenne pepper on the finished product but you could use paprika too

Final thoughts I LOVE IT. It is a great way to add some more protein & fibre to your diet. I am definitely going to experiment with different additions. Change up the green chilies for other flavours. Looking forward to an awesome birthday dinner tonight.

Relax... Respect...Enjoy...your birthday Perry....love Dorri

No comments:

Post a Comment