Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Lakehouse Garage Bathroom Update

Been working hard on completing one room. Ok I know it is the smallest one in the house but it is a beginning of an avalanche of rooms being finished haha. I pickled the 1 x 6 pine white and glazed it for the ceiling and Perry used this great barn board for the walls that we gathered two summers ago from a friends old abandoned barn near Melfort. One wall is painted 2111-50 Stone Harbour - Benjamin Moore - Aura just for a little contrast. The lights should be in by the end of the month.
I have to start designing the glass for the transom window above the door. Fish maybe?
I absolutely love the pickled ceilings. Cabiny without being too cabiny!!
Eventually there will be a mirror framed with driftwood here on the wall above the vanity.
Slate tile mined in China, non honed so pretty rough but that was the look we were going for. I laid them out in the garage and sealed them all before installation. Low sheen sealer really brings out the colours.
I had never tiled with slate before, I love that the way it cut. Nice that natural stone edges don't need to be framed with the aluminum trim. All looks great. I do think though for the slate going in the house we will use honed since we will be walking on it with socks and bare feet lots and not so much in the garage. 
Laying out the tiles and making the cuts before mortaring the tiles down.
Very happy with my staggered pattern. A little more work but I like  the look better than a grid.
The floor took one whole day and the walls took another. Good thing I am cheap labour.
Time to add the pebble trim and get fancy with some smaller slate cuts.
I installed a 7" strip of black pebbles. I bought 12" interlocking squares and had to do some cutting down and adding some of my own smaller pebbles and glass globs to fill in some of the holes. I sealed the pebbles before grouting as well to ease in cleanup of grout. Made that mistake years ago!!!
One wall with pebbles.... 1 1/2 to go.
Done and ready for narrow slate and wood trim.
Love the look of the wood trim. It is just some scrap pallet wood from delivery of some sort of product for the house. It is about 3" square. Nice transition from the tile to the barn board.
I grouted the small wall by the door and to my dismay I didn't have nearly enough grout. Which I had an inkling about so that is why I started on that wall. Up north you should always buy extra because you can't just run out and pick more up arghhhh.... oh well guess it will be there when I get back with more grout.
I painted the exhaust fan Rustoleum - Aged Copper to match the vanity top and sink. It looks much better than the standard crappy white those fans come in.
Check back in a couple weeks for the completion pictures. The door will be installed this weekend but I'll have to stain it yet. I am hoping to have this one room complete when Ashley and baby Sawyer come to visit along with the bonus room ceiling and flooring being complete so we can play u there; painting pictures or maybe sew something!!!

Relax... Respect... Enjoy.... our very late spring... Dorri

No comments:

Post a Comment