Thursday, November 14, 2013

Pinterest Inspirations - Recipe Audition #2

Easy Coconut Curry 
Recipe adapted from www.ourhomesweethome.org

Time to try out another great recipe I found on Pinterest. Cooking for my daughter out who just had a baby and finding meals that I can double/triple then freeze for later. This one exceeded my expectations.  I will use a slightly stronger curry next time and replace the yams with sweet potatoes.

Sauce:
3 tsp coconut oil
3/4 yellow onion minced (so Danny can't pick it out)
2 tsp minced garlic
7 tbsp mild curry powder
2 tbsp garam marsala powder (to make up for not enough curry in the house)
4 cans coconut milk
4 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp maple syrup (I think I would change that to 3 next time)
2 tsp salt

1 yam chopped & cubed
1/2 butternut squash cubed
4 large carrots chopped 
1/2 head cauliflower chopped
1/2 head broccoli chopped
4 - 6 large chicken breasts cubed

2 cups tri-color quinoa
4 cups water or broth

Directions:
Combine the quinoa and water in a large saucepan over high heat, and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, cover the pot and reduce the heat to low, allowing the quinoa to cook for 15 minutes while you work on the curry sauce. You can substitute rice for quinoa or your favourite grain. Because I was cooking for a crowd I left this until the end.
In the meantime, melt the coconut oil in a a large sauce pan over medium heat, and saute the onions and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes. Add in the coconut milk, curry powder, tamari, maple syrup and salt and whisk well to combine. (Since curry powders can vary by brand, start with a smaller amount and add more to suit your tastes.)
Brown the chicken in the coconut oil and cut into cubes. Bring the sauce to a simmer and add in the remaining ingredients. Transfer entire dish to a covered roaster and place in the oven at 325 for 1 hour. Serve over the quinoa.
Easily served 10 with leftovers 

Prepare and chop all the vegetables, I was going to add canned lentils but I never did 
Saute the onions until golden 
Prepping all ingredients ahead makes life easier
Sauce will cook down to a nice golden color, take a taste, there's a nice hint of coconut, if I had unsweetened coconut here I would have sprinkled it on the finished dish
Browning the chicken
I simmered it for about 5 minutes before transferring it to a larger roaster for the oven. The whole meal could easily be done on the cooktop I just wanted it done and out of the way.
I quadrupled the original recipe so as to make sure there would be enough sauce
Serve over the quinoa and enjoy

Relax... Respect... Enjoy.... Totally a recipe pass for Pinterest... Dorri

No comments:

Post a Comment